The first writers conference I ever attended was offered by the International Woman Writers Guild. It was both magical and instrumental to my publishing success.
There, I met agent Rita Rosenkranz who offered me advice that ultimately got my first book (The Ultimate Guide to Transforming Anger) published. It also taught me the value of being part of a community of writers.
Since then I treasure any time at writers conferences–teaching or participating. I’m especially looking forward to my first experience of the famed San Francisco Writers Conference which starts February 13. Many colleagues have shared what an outstanding writers conference this is and how they look forward to it year after year.
Consider joining me for the pre-conference workshop WRITING IN THE ZONE: 5 Steps to Inspired Flow. I often hear from people years after they’ve taken this workshop that Writing in the Zone transformed their writing practice–or took it to a whole new level. Plus, it will give us an opportunity to work together at the conference–so sign up (or find out more) here.
Writing in the Zone will teach you to:
- Develop an inspired vision for any writing project
- Connect with your muse to explore and access your creative guidance
- Enter the Flow to experience the joy of inspired writing in a spontaneous way
- Consistently write in the zone, any time, any place
- Amplify your creativity and write with greater efficiency and ease
While you can attend the pre-conference workshop on its own, I encourage you to attend the entire conference for the breadth of workshops, sense of community, opportunities to network and more.
You’ll find writing workshops to help you fall in love with writing all over again:
- WRITING AS A LABOR OF LOVE with Michael Larsen, Brian Felsen, Harvey Pawl and presenters who are authors of books published because of the conference
- WRITERS ARE THE PEOPLE WE’VE BEEN WAITING FOR: Writing and Nonfiction That Inspires Change with Charlotte Ashlock, Jan Johnson, Brenda Knight. Moderator: Michael Larsen
- UNLOCKING THE KEY TO YOUR MEMOIR: Finding Your Voice with Adair Lara
- WRITING AS IF YOUR FUTURE DEPENDS ON IT: Crafting the Prose of Pros with Constance Hale
- BRINGING YOUR LIFE TO LIFE ON THE PAGE: How to Make Book Buyers Want to Read Your Story with Regina Brooks, Zoe Fitzgerald Carter, Ann Seymour
- DISCOVER YOUR CREATIVE COMPASS: 3 Keys to Overcoming Obstacles and Writing Like a Pro with Dan Millman
Sessions to help you publish, including:
- FROM MANUSCRIPT TO BOOK: How an Author and Editor Give Birth to a Book with NoViolet Bulawayo, Laura Tisdel
- THE HOW TO OF HOW-TOS: Writing Practical Nonfiction with Bonnie Lee, Shasta Nelson, Jody Rein
- FROM HOOKS TO BOOKS: Grabbing the Attention of Agents and Editors with Your Talking Tagline and Platform with Teresa LeYung-Ryan, Elisa Sasa Southard
- 3 STEPS TO A WINNING PROPOSAL: What Every Author Needs to Know About Selling or Publishing a Nonfiction Book with Michael Larsen, Jody Rein
- SELF-PUBLISHING BOOT CAMP: A Step-by-Step Guide to Publishing, Promoting and Selling Your Book with Carla King
- THE NEW MASS MARKET BOOK: Breaking into Publishing with Ebooks with Mark Coker, Brian Felsen, Randy Kuckuck, Christine Munroe
- PITCHCRAFT: Convincing Agents and Editors to See Your Work with a Dynamite Pitch with Katharine Sands
- NONFICTION PITCHATHON
Bring your pitch and a panel of pros will give you feedback on it: with Terry Whalin, Nina Amir, others tba. Moderator: Michael Larsen
- MAKING YOUR WORK REJECTION-PROOF: Advice from Freelance Editors with Tanya Egan Gibson, Mary Knippel, Heather Lazare, Wendy Tokunaga.
Moderator: David Colin Carr
- FOR WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: Query Letters That Work
with Brian Klems, Rayhane Sanders; Terry Whalin
Sessions to help you grow your platform, reach readers and sell books:
- SELLING BOOKS IN THE AGE OF MICROMEDIA: How to Think Like a Media Outlet to Grow Your Platform and Get More Publicity with Rusty Shelton
- FROM THE PAGE TO THE STAGE: How to Give Readings That Fill Seats with Brad Henderson, Andy Jones
- FINDING AND WORKING WITH A FREELANCE PUBLICIST with Karma Bennett, Frances Caballo, Anne Hill, Rusty Shelton
- GETTING ‘EM OFF THE SHELVES: How to Help Your Local Bookseller Sell Your Book with Sam Barry, Bill Petrocelli, Neal Sofman
And sessions to open your eyes to new opportunities:
THE SIX-FIGURE AUTHOR:21 Principles for Making Money Writing, Teaching, Editing, and Doing What You Love with Lisa Tener
- 10 TRENDS DRIVING THE FUTURE OF PUBLISHING with Mark Coker of Smashwords
- THE AGE OF THE HYBRID WRITER: Writing and Publishing in Different Media with Aya de Leon, Peg Alford Pursell. Moderator: Brad Henderson
- BEING AN AUTHOR FOR THE LONG HAUL: How to Balance Writing and Marketing
- EBOOK PUBLISHING ESSENTIALS: How to Produce, Publish, Distribute and Sell an Ebook with Mark Coker
And this is just a small fraction of the huge list of offerings (I focused mostly on nonfiction but you’ll find writing workshops and publishing panels on poetry, fiction and children’s books on the website).
Of course, some of the most valuable—and fun—opportunities include networking dinners and events, opportunities to meet and pitch editors and agents, Speed Dating With Agents: A Pitch-and-Learn Session and more.
And in the publishing panels, you will have an opportunity to meet nonfiction editors:
Chuck Adams, Algonquin Books; Charlotte Ashlock, Berrett Koehler; Brenda Copeland, St. Martin’s Press; David Ebershoff, Random House; Jan Johnson, Red Wheel/Weiser/Conari; Brian Klems, Writer’s Digest; Brenda Knight, Viva Editions; Caitlin O’Shaughnessy, Viking; Lauren Spiegel, Touchstone/Simon & Schuster; Laura Tisdel, Little Brown; Terry Whalin, Morgan James. Moderator: Michael Larsen
And meet these nonfiction literary agents:
Peter Beren, Regina Brooks, Sorche Fairbank, Jody Rein, Katharine Sands, Stefanie von Borstel, Ted Weinstein, Gordon Warnock. Moderator: Michael Larsen
I hope to see you in San Francisco!