Do you struggle with how to stay focused on your writing? You’re not alone. Just a few tweaks can help you break through the challenge and write in a state of inspired flow.
Her Breakthrough in Focus
On a call with a Bring Your Book to Life® participant, she shared her recent breakthrough:
As a busy freelancer she had trouble making time for her writing. When she sat down to write she often became distracted by pressing business activities on her to do list.
What finally freed her was turning off her phone. “I lost track of time. Two and a half hours later I realized how immersed I’d become. I didn’t want to stop but I had to get some food!”
She reports that the solid block of undisturbed time helped her get more focused and productive. “I got much clearer on my outline and moved things around with post-it notes like you showed us in class.” Her writing flowed with ease once she had a clearer outline and undisturbed time to write.
Having your phone on, checking email, online shopping (or even research) can distract you from making progress with your book. Here’s how to stay focused on writing:
- Identify typical—and potential—distractions.
- Take specific actions to prevent these distractions. For example, turn your phone off; write in a place where no one and no device will find you (perhaps writing outdoors); put a do not disturb sign on your door.
- Plan your breaks to invigorate rather than distract. For example, set a timer for stretch breaks or even step outside and take some deep breaths, moving your body in ways that energize you.
What distracts you from writing? What do you do to stay focused? Share any commitments you are making to stay focused on your writing today or this week.
Get Your Writing Done!
One of the best ways to stay focused and write is to create an environment conducive to writing. My most recent program helps you do just that.
Give your writing practice a boost by joining me to write on two or four Thursdays:
In the program:
- I’ll share some of my favorite creativity-inducing exercises from the book I’m working on.
- You can work on a specific project or just let yourself be inspired by the writing prompts I’ll provide.
- You’ll learn my secrets for writing in a state of flow.
- You’ll get some writing done!
If you’ve been thinking of taking a class with me, but were intimidated by the bigger commitment of my other programs, Get Your Writing Done offers a perfect opportunity to learn some of my best tools for writing, get your questions answered personally on the calls, and make progress on your book, blog, articles or other writing. I’ve also priced this system to fit just about any budget.
I’d love to help you achieve a BREAKTHROUGH in writing with ease—every time.