Plus, you may choose to be notified when my new book launches, "The Joy of Writing Journal: Spark Your Creativity in 8 Minutes a Day"!
A client of mine received a wonderful nudge from the universe a few days ago. She’d been writing her first few blog posts, but hadn’t posted any yet.
Somehow, she accidentally sent the post to her whole mailing list. “Yoo-hoo! Time to put it out there, ready or not!” (That’s her muse speaking.)
She also hasn’t put out her shingle as a coach yet, but friends sent two clients her way.
There’s no more time to hide behind self-doubt anymore.
How about you? Are you feeling nudges to take action on your book?
Often, aspiring authors feel the passion and excitement about writing. They write chapters in their heads or notes on scraps of paper, but that’s not how a book gets written.
How to Write a Self-Help Book or How-To Book
- Get in Touch with Your Passion: That’s where it all starts. Make a list of all the ways you feel excited about what can happen when your book comes out–what your readers will experience and what doors will open in your life. What is your book going to do for the world? For your readers? For you?
- Commit: Set a goal; schedule time in your calendar; say no to some things so you can say yes to your book. Dedicate space in your office or home to book writing. Put your commitment in writing.
- Develop a Plan that includes support, accountability and structure. Without those three, it’s much harder to stay the course.
Once you get on the horse with those first three steps, you can get into the finer details of envisioning the book. I recommend some soul searching and creative brainstorming before you begin writing, however. Get clear on your book concept before you actually start writing.
Questions to Ask Yourself:
- What are my vision and goals?
- Who are my readers? What do they want and need?
- What is my book truly about? What is it not about?
- What features are going to make my book come to life for my readers? What will make my book stand out and be powerful and special?
- What’s the best way to structure my book?
I put together a very short ebook called, 5 Secrets to Bring Your Book to Life. It can help you get unstuck or restart, save time and stay on track. It’s a great starting point to write a self-help book or how-to book, and you can get it here for free.