Do you struggle with how to stay focused on your writing? You’re not alone. Just a few tweaks can help you break through the challenge and write in a state of inspired flow.
Her Breakthrough in Focus
On a call with a Bring Your Book to Life® participant, she shared her recent breakthrough:
As a busy freelancer she had trouble making time for her writing. When she sat down to write she often became distracted by pressing business activities on her to do list.
What finally freed her was turning off her phone. “I lost track of time. Two and a half hours later I realized how immersed I’d become. I didn’t want to stop but I had to get some food!”
She reports that the solid block of undisturbed time helped her get more focused and productive. “I got much clearer on my outline and moved things around with post-it notes like you showed us in class.” Her writing flowed with ease once she had a clearer outline and undisturbed time to write.
Having your phone on, checking email, online shopping (or even research) can distract you from making progress with your book. Here’s how to stay focused on writing:
- Identify typical—and potential—distractions.
- Take specific actions to prevent these distractions. For example, turn your phone off; write in a place where no one and no device will find you (perhaps writing outdoors); put a do not disturb sign on your door.
- Plan your breaks to invigorate rather than distract. For example, set a timer for stretch breaks or even step outside and take some deep breaths, moving your body in ways that energize you.
What distracts you from writing? What do you do to stay focused? Share any commitments you are making to stay focused on your writing today or this week.
Get Your Writing Done!
One of the best ways to stay focused and write is to create an environment conducive to writing. My most recent program helps you do just that.
Give your writing practice a boost by joining me (and my two amazing colleagues, Laurie Hunt and Sharon Burton) to write Thursdays from 11:30 AM ET to 1:30 PM ET, or Wednesdays 8-10 pm ET:
In the program:
- You’ll learn my favorite creativity-inducing exercises.
- You can work on a specific project or just let yourself be inspired by the writing prompts I provide.
- You’ll learn my secrets for writing in a state of flow.
- You’ll have the nourishing support and accountability needed to show up to writing.
- You’ll get writing done, every single week that you show up!
If you’ve been thinking of taking a class with me, but were intimidated by the bigger commitment of my other programs, Get Your Writing Done offers a perfect opportunity to learn some of my best tools for writing, get your questions answered personally on the calls, and make progress on your book, blog, articles or other writing. I’ve also priced this system to fit just about any budget.
I’d love to help you achieve a BREAKTHROUGH in writing with ease—every time.
I’ve bundled in lots of extras including my most popular self-study book writing programs and the materials we use in my Bring Your Book to Life(R) Program. I include videos, audio meditations, ebooks on writing, revision and creative flow and much more.
You’ll find all these resources on the program website; yet your monthly fee is just a fraction of what I charge for these programs when sold individually.
Yet, even if you never use these bonuses and just show up for the writing sessions, you’ll receive incredible value — imagine what it will do for your life and/or your business when you complete your writing projects and bring them out in the world!
And if you’re not ready to share with the world, that’s fine too. You can use the program to journal, for personal growth, to explore genres or just write for the love of writing.
Find out more about Get Your Writing Done here.