Too many book ideas? It’s been a recent theme with clients this summer. Here are 5 Steps to help you decide which book to write…first.
1. What’s your big vision? Look at your long term vision for your life and your work? Which book supports that vision best? Perhaps rank each book from 1-5 in how much it supports the big vision.
2. Where’s your passion? Does one book hold more passion than the others? Again, use the 5 point system to evaluate.
3. What’s most marketable? Give extra points to the books that are more marketable–if one of your goals is to reach more people and sell more books or if you are looking for a traditional publisher.
4. Which is easiest? I’ve had many highly successful entrepreneurs get stuck on the “which book?” question, often thinking they should write the hardest book because it will be the most challenging. Go back to basics. If you want that book to make an impact on your business quickly, writing the easiest book may make the most sense. It may also fit best with your business. Keep it simple. Don’t over-complicate.
5. Ask your muse. What’s your intuition on this? Try my meet your muse exercise. This visualization helps you get in touch with your inner knowing–that creative part of you that already has the answers.